Job Type: Seasonal, 30-40 hrs/wk
Location: Rossland, BC
Start Date: October 15th, 2018
End Date: December 31st, 2018
Closing Date: Until Filled
This position subject to funding approval and candidates must meet Young Canada Works eligibility requirements.
The Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre’s mission is to preserve and dynamically present the heritage of Rossland and area. We do this with comprehensive indoor and outdoor displays on the industrial and social history of Rossland with a particular emphasis on the mining and skiing histories of the area. We are located directly on the “Mining in the Kootenays” historic site – on top of the historic Black Bear Mine. Additionally, we have an extensive community archives, a provincial visitor information centre, numerous educational programs in-house and through outreach activities, downtown heritage walking tours, and various special events throughout the summer.
The Collections Assistant will work with the Collections Manager and trained volunteers on various projects throughout the job term, including:
Work with staff and trained volunteers to work through the accessioning backlog
Assist the Collections Manager in updates to permanent exhibits throughout the museum
Institute key recommendations received from the Canadian Conservation Institute facility assessment on storage reorganization
All staff assist in the general operation and maintenance of the museum, archives, visitor centre, and discovery centre, including assisting with major events, and programming.
The following is a list of additional essential qualifications necessary to this position:
· Full-time post-secondary student – ideally in Museum, Archival, Library, or History studies, or related fields
· Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
· Excellent computer skills (incl. Microsoft Office/Google Docs, Wordpress, Dropbox)
· Should be very well organized, detail-oriented, and able to problem solve
· Excellent public speaking abilities
· A passion for history and education
The following desired qualifications may be considered an asset for this position:
· Creativity and enthusiasm
· Experience working as or directly with a project manager
· Experience in or with the tourism and/or cultural sector
· Knowledge of Rossland or West Kootenay history
. Passion for skiing/winter sports and/or mining/railway history
· Current First Aid certificate
For more information about this position, please contact Joelle Hodgins, Museum Director, at museumdirector @rosslandmuseum.ca or call (250) 362-7722.