By 1942 skiing activity was low and membership in both Ski Clubs had decreased drastically. It was considered that a race from the top of Grey Mountain all the way into Rossland would revive the skiers’ spirits and enthusiasm.
The first race was held on March 1, 1943. Racers were sent off at 1 minute intervals and had to climb to the top of Grey Mountain. From there, they skied down the slopes of Grey into Squaw Basin, and down the trail to Indian Flats. Skiers then headed to Red Mountain Road and the reservoir, with the finish at the top of Spokane Street.
The race was held once a year for four years but had to be cancelled in 1947 due to lack of snow at the lower levels.
The Grey Mountain Grind became a thing of the past with the amalgamation of the Rossland and Trail Ski Clubs to form the “Red Mountain Ski Club”, and the building of the Red Mountain Chairlift.