The first access into the Rossland area was by the summer trails of the berry seeking Salish Indians.
Then in 1865 the hastily built Dewdney Trail passed close by the foot of Red Mountain.
After gold was discovered on Red Mountain in 1898 steam boats began to drop passengers at Trail Creek Landing where they proceeded to the Rossland camp on foot.
By 1893 wagon roads had been built to connect the mines of Rossland with the steam boats on the Columbia River at Trail Creek Landing (now the City of Trail) and Northport, Washington.
In 1896 the Columbia and Western Railway and the Red Mountain Railway connected Rossland to Trail Creek Landing and Northport respectively.
By 1930 automobile transportation had begun to replace the railroads.
Today Rossland is served by a modern highway system and the railways (for passengers) are gone.
During its earliest days the Rossland camp depended on river boats for connection to the outside world.
In 1890 the Columbia and Kootenay Steam Navigation Co. placed a fleet of Stern Wheelers in service on the Columbia River between Revelstoke north of the Arrow lakes and Little Dalles just south of the border in the State of Washington.
Trail Creek Landing became a regular port of call giving direct connection to the main line of the Canadian Pacific Railway at Revelstoke and to the Spokane Falls and Northern Railway at Little Dalles.
In 1896 the Columbia and Kootenay Steam Navigation Co. was purchased by the Canadian pacific Railway and new steamboats were added to the fleet.
The finest and fastest steamer at the time was the “Rossland”. It was the only steamboat able to ascend the river from Trail to the Arrow lakes without assistance through the rapids.
After the completion in 1898 of the railroad from trail north to Robson at the foot of the Arrow Lakes the steamers no longer ran south to Trail.