The Centre Star Gulch Trestle was built by the Canadian Pacific Railway to reach the Centre Star Ore Bins in Rossland. Shortly after completion, they started a 20 year project of filling in the trestle with waste rock from the mines.
The present day connecting roads of Plewman Way, McLeod Ave, and Kirkup Ave to Highway 3b are built over the trestle. The timbers of the trestle remain buried under the roadway.
The Le Roi Company had initially contracted with F. Augustus Heinze to supply ore to his smelter in Trail. In 1897, however, at the urging of D.C. Corbin of the Red Mountain Railway, the Le Roi Company broke with Heinze and established the Le Roi smelter at Northport, Washington. The Northport smelter was short-lived.
Washington state law forbade foreign ownership of property, and when the Le Roi Company was sold to the British-America Corporation in 1898, the smelter operated for only a few years longer on customs ore.
Power for the Northport smelter and the town of Northport was supplied via Rossland from the transmission lines of the West Kootenay Power and Light Company.
Of the five claims staked on Red Mountain in July 1890 by Moris and Bourgeois, the Le Roi was destined to become the most famous. In return for putting up the $12.50 recording fee for the group, “Colonel” Topping, the gold recorder at Nelson, was offered his choice of the claims. Topping chose the Le Roi. He then sold the Le Roi to a Spokane syndicate for $30,000. When the mine was developed, the American owners sold it to Whittaker Wright’s British-America Corp. of London for three million dollars. The Le Roi ultimately produced 30 million dollars of wealth.
The sale of the Le Roi to the British-America Corp. triggered an exciting litigation case that culminated in the signing of the “million dollar cheque” at Rossland.
In 1897 the Le Roi mining company built a smelter at Northport. Washington, but this was closed down a few years after the sale of the mine to the B-A Corp.
Heavy trading in Le Roi stock through the distant London exchange prompted the establishment of the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The fortunes of the Le Roi suffered a setback in 1901 with the collapse of Whittaker Wright’s infamous financial empire, but the mine continued to produce until 1910 when the affairs of the company were wound up in London. In 1911, the assets of the Le Roi were acquired by Cominco and the Le Roi was operated as part of the consolidated mine workings until the Rossland properties were closed down in 1929.