Rossland’s first fire department was organized on a volunteer basis in 1896.
The first equipment was paid for with money raised by public subscription and by a Ball described as the “biggest and most successful” help up to that time in the mining camp. It was put on by the ratepayers’ association.
Fire-fighting equipment for 1900 was three horse drawn carts complete with ladder, hoses and other apparatus. They lined up in front of the new fire hall on Queen Street and First Avenue.
An electric fire alarm system was installed as early as 1898 with call boxes located at 10 strategic points throughout the city. For many years alarms were announced by the ringing of a large bell which sat atop the Fire Hall.