Job Type: Seasonal, Full-time
Location: Rossland, BC
Start Date: Mid-May
Closing Date: Until Filled
These positions are subject to funding and only available to students who have been in full-time post-secondary studies and intend to return to full-time studies in the fall.
The Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre’s mission is to preserve and dynamically present the heritage of Rossland and area. We do this with comprehensive indoor and outdoor displays on the industrial and social history of Rossland with a particular emphasis on the mining and skiing histories of the area. Additionally, we have an extensive community archives, a provincial visitor information centre, numerous educational programs in-house and through outreach activities, downtown heritage walking tours, and various special events throughout the summer.
Museum assistants are responsible for the daily opening, operating, and closing procedures associated with Museum operations. This includes conducting interpretive tours that provide information on Rossland – the Golden City. Assisting with the operation of the gift shop, admissions, concession, and Visitor Centre, including sales, inventory, restocking, statistics, etc. Planning and scheduling group visits, tours, and special events. Routine maintenance, including painting, cleaning, and light grounds keeping. If the interest and background exists, students may also have tailored tasks such as marketing, graphic design, early childhood education, historical research, and archival tasks. As well, as a community history museum, we cover a lot of different themes and topics, and the opportunity to create and complete a project as it relates directly to their field of study will also be made available throughout the summer.
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Public speaking experience
- Must have excellent organizational skills, planning experience, and a passion for education and history
- Customer service experience
- Post-secondary education in Museum Studies, History, Geology, Drama, Anthropology, Tourism, Marketing, or related fields. High school student applicants are accepted
- Experience working in or with the tourism and/or cultural sector
- Knowledge of Rossland’s history
- Minor labour and equipment maintenance experience
- Current First Aid certificate
For more information about this position, please contact Joelle Hodgins, Museum Director, at museumdirector @ rosslandmuseum.ca or call (250) 362-7722.