During Rossland’s long cold winter nothing was more exhilarating as Winter Carnival. The first carnival was held in 1898 and was a week-long celebration. Winter Carnival opened with a skating masquerade party followed by hockey matches, curling, skating competitions, ski running, ski jumping, snowshoeing, and tobogganing down the “Zip”.
A snowshoe torchlight parade wound its way up Monte Cristo’s side to light a beacon fire at the top. Fans from around the Kootenays came to town in special trains flying the colours of their hockey teams, singing their songs and practicing their cheers to rouse the rafters of the skating rink.
Winter Carnival of 1917 was the last for decades following the killer flu epidemic of 1918. In 1947, with Rossland celebrating its 50th Anniversary there was a revival of the winter carnival. It was called the “Sno Sho” with emphasis on hockey and curling.