The first access into the Rossland area was by the summer trails of the berry seeking Salish Indians.
Then in 1865 the hastily built Dewdney Trail passed close by the foot of Red Mountain.
After gold was discovered on Red Mountain in 1898 steam boats began to drop passengers at Trail Creek Landing where they proceeded to the Rossland camp on foot.
By 1893 wagon roads had been built to connect the mines of Rossland with the steam boats on the Columbia River at Trail Creek Landing (now the City of Trail) and Northport, Washington.
In 1896 the Columbia and Western Railway and the Red Mountain Railway connected Rossland to Trail Creek Landing and Northport respectively.
By 1930 automobile transportation had begun to replace the railroads.
Today Rossland is served by a modern highway system and the railways (for passengers) are gone.