Job Type: 4-month Term with possible extension – 3-5 days/week
Location: Rossland, BC
Salary: DOE $14-$16/hour
Start Date: September 20th, 2016
Closing Date: Until Filled
The Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre’s mission is to preserve and dynamically present the heritage of Rossland and area. We do this with comprehensive indoor and outdoor displays on the industrial and social history of Rossland with a particular emphasis on the mining and skiing histories of the area. Additionally, we have an extensive community archives, a provincial visitor information centre, numerous educational programs in-house and through outreach activities, downtown heritage walking tours, and various special events throughout the year.
The Operations & Programs Manager will help the Museum Director in the general operation of the museum, including daily opening and closing of the museum and visitor centre, various administrative and financial management tasks, and communication and marketing. They will also be responsible for the development and presentation of our regular programs for many different age groups (in history, science, art, etc.), managing facility rentals, organizing any special events, and managing staff and volunteers associated with any of these.
Note: This position is relatively flexible between 3 and 5 days per week, but does require weekend work and the occasional evenings. The position and hours will be reviewed in 4 months for possible extension into a full-time, permanent position.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, public speaking, and customer service skills
- Experience planning, organizing, and implementing effective educational programming for children of all ages (majority ages 2.5-12)
- Experience with planning, organizing, and facilitating events
- Experience in conflict resolution and problem-solving; well organized and detail-oriented
- Creativity, enthusiasm, and a love of learning are key elements
- An interest in Rossland’s history and everything the area has to offer locals and visitors alike
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint – or similar programs) and Dropbox
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Education in museums, archives, libraries, history, business administration, tourism, or related fields with at least 1-2 years of work experience in these areas
- Experience working/volunteering for a not for profit organization or registered charity
- Experience in marketing (through social media and other means) for non-profit organizations
- First Aid/CPR, WHMIS training, and an RCMP security check
Please submit your resume and cover letter clearly demonstrating how you meet the qualifications by e-mail (preferred) to email@example.com or drop off at 1100 Hwy 3B (junction of Hwy 3B and Hwy 22). Please include a minimum of two references.