*This position is subject to funding approval.
Job Type: Seasonal, Part-time – 15 hrs/week
Location: Rossland, BC
Start Date: September 6th, 2015
Closing Date: Until Filled
The Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre’s mission is to preserve and dynamically present the heritage of Rossland and area. We do this with comprehensive indoor and outdoor displays on the industrial and social history of Rossland with a particular emphasis on the mining and skiing histories of the area. Additionally, we have an extensive community archives, a provincial visitor information centre, numerous educational programs in-house and through outreach activities, downtown heritage walking tours, and various special events throughout the summer.
The Museum Assistant is responsible for the daily opening, operating, and closing procedures associated with Museum operations. This includes conducting interpretive tours that provide information on Rossland – the Golden City, assisting with the operation of the gift shop, admissions, concession, and Visitor Centre, including sales, inventory, restocking, statistics, etc., planning and scheduling group visits, tours, and special events, and routine maintenance, including painting, cleaning, and light grounds keeping. If the interest and background exists, students may also have tailored tasks such as marketing, graphic design, early childhood education, historical research, archival tasks, among other things. As well, as a community history museum, we cover a lot of different themes and topics, and the opportunity to create and complete a project as it relates directly to their field of interest will also be made available throughout the term.
- Full time student in Grades 11-12 or Post-Secondary student (in history, education, art, geology, tourism, marketing, or related field)
- Legally entitled to work in Canada; resident of the Basin region; aged 15+ prior to start date
- An interest in Rossland’s history and everything the area has to offer locals and visitors alike
- Experience working with families and children of all ages
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Experience in conflict resolution and problem-solving
- Experience working for a not for profit organization
- First Aid/CPR, WHMIS training, and an RCMP security check
- Customer service experience; experience with cash registers, POS machines, computers, etc.
- Experience working in the tourism and/or cultural sector
- Minor labour and equipment maintenance experience
For more information about this position, please contact Joelle Hodgins, Museum Director, at museumdirector @ rosslandmuseum.ca or call (250) 362-7722. Please quote the position you are applying for and send a cover letter, resume, and references.