Archives & Collections Assistant
Job Type: Full-time, 6-month term with possibility of extension
Location: Rossland, BC
Start Date: September 6th, 2015
Closing Date: Until Filled
This position is subject to funding approval.
The Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre’s mission is to preserve and dynamically present the heritage of Rossland and area. We do this with comprehensive indoor and outdoor displays on the industrial and social history of Rossland with a particular emphasis on the mining and skiing histories of the area. Additionally, we have an extensive community archive, a provincial visitor information centre, numerous in-house and outreach educational programs, downtown heritage walking tours, and various special events throughout the year.
The Archives consists of 5 rooms totaling approximately 1200 sq. ft. and many different mediums from maps to newspapers to photographs covering the history of Rossland and area since the mid-1800s. The museum also houses thousands of objects in the collection, many of which are on permanent exhibit.
The Archives & Collections Assistant will work on various projects in the archives and museum collections, including accessioning recent donations, helping develop a collecting policy, reviewing procedures, inventorying the museum collections, bringing the archives close to current standards and practices according to the rules for archival description, digitizing the photo collection, and preparing the archival contents for a major renovation. The Archives & Collections Assistant will also manage public research requests, incoming donations, and internal research requests for our programming, exhibitions, and publications.
- Post-secondary education in archival, library, or museum studies;
- Excellent research skills;
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining accuracy under pressure;
- Ability to work cooperatively as part of a dynamic team;
- Organized, detail‐oriented, self-motivated, and have very good time‐management skills;
- Good level of computer literacy, including spreadsheets, database software, and email; and
- Familiarity with the Rules of Archival Description, preservation, and conservation.
- Creativity and enthusiasm;
- Experience working in or with the tourism and/or cultural sector; and
- Knowledge of Rossland’s history.
For more information about this position or to submit your resume and cover letter clearly demonstrating how you meet the qualifications, please contact Joelle Hodgins, Museum Director, at email@example.com or call (250) 362-7722.