Job Type: Seasonal, 40 hrs/wk
Location: Rossland, BC
Start Date: Early May 2018
End Date: September 1st, 2018
Closing Date: Until Filled
This position subject to funding approval and candidates must meet Young Canada Works eligibility requirements.
The Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre’s mission is to preserve and dynamically present the heritage of Rossland and area. We do this with comprehensive indoor and outdoor displays on the industrial and social history of Rossland with a particular emphasis on the mining and skiing histories of the area. We are located directly on the “Mining in the Kootenays” historic site – on top of the historic Black Bear Mine. Additionally, we have an extensive community archives, a provincial visitor information centre, numerous educational programs in-house and through outreach activities, downtown heritage walking tours, and various special events throughout the summer.
The Collections Assistant will work with the Collections Manager and trained volunteers on various projects throughout the summer, including:
- Work with staff and trained volunteers to work through the accessioning backlog
- Inventory the collection on display and in storage in the Upper Level (geology specimens, mining equipment, tools, vehicles, larger housewares, etc.)
- Assist the Collections Manager in updates to permanent exhibits throughout the museum
- Institute key recommendations received from the Canadian Conservation Institute facility assessment on storage reorganization
- Assist other staff in developing outreach programming kits
All staff assist in the general operation and maintenance of the museum, archives, visitor centre, and discovery centre, including assisting with major events, and programming.
The following is a list of additional essential qualifications necessary to this position:
- Post-secondary education – ideally in Museum, Archival, Library, or History studies, or related fields.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills (incl. Microsoft Office/Google Docs, WordPress, Dropbox)
- Should be very well organized, detail-oriented, and able to problem solve
- Excellent public speaking abilities
- A passion for history and education
The following desired qualifications may be considered an asset for this position:
- Creativity and enthusiasm
- Experience working as or directly with a project manager
- Experience in or with the tourism and/or cultural sector
- Knowledge of Rossland or West Kootenay history
- Current First Aid certificate
Please submit your resume and cover letter clearly demonstrating how you meet the qualifications and quoting the position(s) you are applying for by email (preferred) to email@example.com or drop off at 1100 Hwy 3B (junction of Hwy 3B and Hwy 22). Please also attach references.
For more information about this position, please contact Joelle Hodgins, Museum Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (250) 362-7722.