The Rossland Archives’ photo collection showcases some spectacular views of early Rossland. These photos allow us to see which buildings have survived the ups and downs of this amazing boomtown we call The Golden City. From its humble beginnings in the late 1800s, Rossland has grown and changed to fit into the modern world of 2017, nevertheless one can still see sneak peaks of the mining town that once was.
February 13th-19th is ‘BC Heritage Week – MY Canada, MY BC’. In celebration, the Museum is holding a Then & Now Photography Contest. Referring to a selection of iconic historical photos, everyone and anyone is encouraged to go find the original photographer’s viewpoint and capture, as closely as possible, a modern-day depiction. We ask all Rosslanders to embrace, explore, and enjoy the beautiful heritage spaces within this amazing community.
How to enter:
The Museum has posted our pre-selected historical photos in two locations:
Facebook – facebook.com/rosslandmuseum
Attach your modern-day photo in the comment box below the corresponding historical photo
Instagram – @rosslandmuseum
Use #RosslandThenAndNow and post your photos! Make sure your account is public so everyone can see your photo and the hashtag
The contest will run from February 13th to 28th. The top photo selected for each of the 10 photos will be announced on March 2nd, which will mark the 120th anniversary of the City of Rossland’s official incorporation.
Photo entries will be judged by the Museum’s board and staff. Judgement will be based on quality of photo and accuracy of capturing the historic photographer’s original viewpoint.
What’s a contest without its prize:
The top photo for each of the 10 historical selections will then be posted for a People’s Choice Contest in early March. The People’s Choice Winner will win a mini growler and fill courtesy of the Rossland Beer Company*.
Additionally, these photos may be presented as a gallery display in downtown Rossland to showcase the winners as well as considered for a new set of postcards to be sold in the Museum’s gift shop.
*Entries are encouraged by individuals under the age of 19; if your photo wins, the prize will be of equal value.
*Please read contest rules and conditions before submitting your photos*
Rules and conditions
- All photographs submitted for the contest must have been taken by you;
- You may submit as many or as few photos as you would like; you do not have to submit a modern photo for each historical photo in order to be eligible (selecting 1 photo to copy is just fine);
- Please do not submit photos in which a person is recognizable. These entries will be ineligible as we do not have their permission to publish their photo;
- You equally retain your rights to your photograph; however, by entering the contest, you grant the Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre (RMDC) a royalty-free, perpetual license to publicly display, distribute, reproduce, and create works of the entries, in whole or in part, in any media for any RMDC purpose, including but not limited to, advertising and promotion on our website, exhibition, and commercial products. Any photograph reproduced will include a photographer credit. The RMDC will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such uses;
- RMDC will notify the winners via the social media platform in which they have submitted their photos; and
- Winners will be asked to fill out a transfer of photo copyright form and submit an original, digital file or an original negative or high-quality print. Original negatives or prints may be returned to winners.