Job Type: Term with possible extension – 4 days/week
Location: Rossland, BC
Salary: DOE $13-$16/hour
Start Date: January 5th, 2016
Closing Date: Until Filled
The Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre’s mission is to preserve and dynamically present the heritage of Rossland and area. We do this with comprehensive indoor and outdoor displays on the industrial and social history of Rossland with a particular emphasis on the mining and skiing histories of the area. Additionally, we have an extensive community archives, a provincial visitor information centre, numerous educational programs in-house and through outreach activities, downtown heritage walking tours, and various special events throughout the year.
The Operation & Programs Assistant will help the Museum Director in the general operation of the museum, including daily opening and closing of the museum and visitor centre, various administrative and financial management tasks, and communication and marketing. They will also be responsible for the development and presentation of our regular programs for many different age groups (history, science, art, etc.), managing facility rentals, organizing any special events, and managing staff and volunteers associated with any of these.
Note: Until mid-May, this position may be a maximum of 4 days per week with additional hours dependent on funding and operational needs. From May-August, it can become 5 days per week. An extension past August is dependent on funding.
- Excellent communication, public speaking, and customer service skills
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- An interest in Rossland’s history and everything the area has to offer locals and visitors alike
- Experience working with families and children of all ages
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint – or similar programs) and Dropbox; Excellent written skills
- Experience in conflict resolution and problem-solving; well organized and detail-oriented
- Creativity, enthusiasm, and a love of learning are key elements
- Education in museums, archives, libraries, history, business administrations, tourism, or related fields with at least 1-2 years of work experience in these areas
- Experience working/volunteering for a not for profit organization or registered charity
- First Aid/CPR, WHMIS training, and an RCMP security check
- Experience with planning, organizing, and facilitating events
- Experience working in the tourism and/or cultural sector
For more information about this position or a full job description, please contact Joelle Hodgins, Museum Director, at museumdirector (at) rosslandmuseum.ca or call (250) 362-7722.
To apply, please submit your cover letter clearly outlining how you meet the essential and desired qualifications along with your resume. Please also submit 2-3 references. Email is preferred.